The conditional formatting formula applied to cell range B3:F15 highlights all blank cells yellow. Here is how I did it:
- Select cell range B3:F13
- Go to tab "Home" on the ribbon
- Click on "Conditional Formatting" button
Click on "New Rule.."
- Select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format"
- Type =B3="" in field "Format values where this formula is true:"
Then click on "Format..." button
- Go to tab "Fill"
- Pick a color
- Click OK button
- Click OK button to return to Excel.
Explaining conditional formatting formula
Why =B3=""? The cell range we want to highlight empty cells in is B3:F13 so the cell we must highlight first is the cell in the upper left corner.
Cell B3 is a relative cell reference and changes in the cell range we want to format, see picture below.
If we started with B4 cell B3 will be highlighted if cell B4 is empty and we don't want that.
Download Excel *.xlsx file
Highlight blank cells.xlsx