This picture shows you a clustered column chart with pictures (flags) below each column.
- Select a data range
- Click "Insert" tab on the ribbon and click "Column" and then "Clustered column"
- Right click on the second series and click on "Change Series Chart Type...". Change it to x y (scatter) and click "Scatter with only markers".
- Remove axis and legend
- Right click on x axis and click on "Format Axis..."
- Change label distance to 500
- Click a x y scatter data point
- Paste a picture. I resized the picture to 25 px width first.
- Repeat step 7 and 8 with the remaining pictures.
You can use the same technique with a bar chart.
Other interesting chart techniques
- An animated bar chart
- Highlight a group of chart bars
- Format fill color on a column chart based on cell color
- Use drop down lists to compare data series in an excel chart
- Highlight a data series in a line chart
- Use a map in an excel chart
- Custom data labels in a chart