The picture above shows the following equation
plotted on an x y scatter chart. Here are the instructions on how I built this chart:
- Type -10 and -9 in cell A2:A3
- Select cell A2:A3 and click and hold on the black dot.
Drag down until you see the number 10.
- Release the mouse button
- Select cell B2 and type: =A2^3+3*A2^2-3
- Press Enter
Double click on dot in the lower right corner. This copies the formula to cells below as far as there are cells containing values in column A.
Insert x y scatter chart
- Go to tab "Insert" on the ribbon
- Click on scatter chart icon
- Click on the scatter chart you prefer, I chose Scatter with straight lines.
Change the x and y axis minimum and maximum value
- Right-click on x axis
- Click on "Format axis..."
- Change minimum and maximum value
- Change major units
Repeat with y axis.
Format x and y axis
- Select x axis again
Click on Fill and Line icon
Select "Solid Line" and pick a color.
- Repeat with y axis
Download Excel *.xlsx file
How to graph a function.xlsx